The Lord will fulfill his promises
Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!
- Luke 1:45
Today’s passage comes at the end of Elizabeth’s conversation with Mary when Mary visited her before their babies were born. Elizabeth encourages Mary in the midst of what must have been for Mary a tough and nerve-wracking season. Both of the women were first-time mothers, but the circumstances of Elizabeth’s marriage were much more socially acceptable than Mary’s.
In today’s passage, Elizabeth reaches into her storehouse of wisdom and shares one nugget of truth with her younger relative.
Elizabeth had struggled for years to get pregnant. Then, one day, through her husband Zechariah, the Lord promised Elizabeth that she would have a child (see Luke 1). Elizabeth had every reason to doubt that promise. The Bible describes her as “very old” at that time and she would have experienced disappointment after disappointment in her attempts to have a child. But Elizabeth had faith and the Lord proved faithful. Elizabeth was truly #blessed.
When she had a chance to encourage Mary, she encouraged her to believe that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her. What wonderful encouragement!
Here are just a few of the Lord’s promises to you:
- Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you (from Hebrews 13:5)
- If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed (from John 8:36)
- No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23)
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- No word from God will ever fail (from Luke 1:37)
Blessed are you if you believe the Lord will fulfill his promises to you.